One day, I was in the train passing through a station. And a woman came in. She was in her forties, wearing lots of chunky jewelries with big hair. Something was wrong with her...but what? Olivia Palermo wears many statement jewelries too, what's the difference?
She got the wrong colour and texture on her face. She had very warm tones with green veins showing underneath, and she was trying hard to be all dressy. However, she was wearing a sharp fuchsia almost dolly pink blush and obviously she applied it with her heavy hand.Very powdery, not flattering.
Blushes are often overlooked, but not by me! It might not drastically brighten up your look, but the wrong one can drastically ruin everything.Judging from whether you are a cool toned or warm-toned lady, you can tell which blush suits you more. It doesn't mean if you have warm tone, then you can't wear cool-toned blushes - but try to think of what outcome you want to create.
Note that the chart is just a spectrum of warm-cool colours, but the intensity and saturation are not factors considered. And...of course pale and darker lovelies can choose shades that look natural on you.
Cool toned blushes:
1. Peony - lilac pink, delicate (MAC Well dressed// MAC So Sweet, So Easy// )
2. Berry - plum pink, feminine, sexy (MAC Gentle// MAC Love Thing// MAC velvet plum )
3. Fuchsia - bright purple pink, energetic (MAC Full Fuchsia// NARS Desire// NARS Gaiety is between Fuchsia and Peony// )
4. Ruby - deep red, mysterious, almost inaccessible (Chanel Plum Attraction// )
5. Rose - raspberry pink, soft ladylike, well-mannered (Chanel Pink Explosion// MAC Dame//Lancome Rose Fresque//)
6. Cherry - crimson, bright rose-red, fun, easy going (MAC Salsarose// MAC Frankly Scarlet//)
7. Candy - bluish pink,light, great for makeup starters (Burberry Misty// MAC Pink Swoon is between Candy and Baby//Chanel Narcisse// )
8. Dolly - bright, young, easily go clownish (MAC Dollymix// Chanel Tweed Fuchsia//
9. Baby - neutral pink, soft, gentle (Bobbi Brown Pink Sugar// Dior Rose Diamond as blush highlighter// NARS Angelica is between Baby and Candy// )
Warm toned blushes:
1. Salmon Pink - natural, neutral pink with a hint of peachy (NARS Deep Throat// MAC Dainty// MAC Dame// Benefit Coralista// )
2. Peachy - natural, warm pink (NARS Orgasm// MAC Springsheen// Guerlain Blush G// Chanel Espiègle// MAC Melba is between Peachy and Antique// MAC Keep it Loose)
3. Brick - ummm...can I say dangerous? (MAC Frankly Scarlet// Bobbi Brown Flame// Chanel Rouge// MAC Fleur Power is a mixture of Brick and Salmon Pink//)
4. Antique - subtle brown pink, (Bobbi Brown Blushed Rose//Bobbi Brown Nude Peach is between Peachy and Antique// Laura Mercier Cheek Mélange in Canyon Sunset is between Peachy and Antique// MAC Mocha// Becca Fig Beach Tint)
5. Champagne - luxurious glowy (Dior Amber Diamond as highlighter// Estee Lauder 5 tone shimmer 03 Peach Shimmer is between Champagne and Brown with a hint of peachy)//
6. Brown - autumn-y ( NARS Madly// MAC Harmony (as contouring)// Zen is between beige and brown with a hint of antique// MAC Peachtwist is a mixture of brown, coral and peachy//
7. Beige - subtle, tone down bold eye and lip makeup (MAC Cubic// MAC Tenderling//
8. Tangerine - may make Asian skin even more yellowish (NARS Gina// Chanel soleil tan de chanel 61 desert corail is between Tangerine & Beige//
9. Coral - happy, easygoing (NARS Gilda// NARS Cactus Flower is between Coral and Brick// Burberry Blossom is between Coral and Peachy// Chanel Tweed Corail 20//Dolce & Gabbana Sole//
Miss Kwong Golden Rules
If you want to look professional and promising during a presentation or job interview, wear Antique.
If you want to look cute, as if you are the most delicate little thing from the world, wear Candy (but if you are over 25, remember to apply with a light hand, or go for Baby colours instead.)
If you go on a date and want the guy feel that you are a potential wife-material, wear Rose (I'm all well-behaved!) or Peachy (I'm no trouble-maker!).
If you go on a date and want the guy feel you are fun and independent, wear Coral.
If you go on a dinner date and you're expecting to have breakfast together the next morning, wear Berry or Ruby.
If you want to get attention and be a glowy goddess, layer Champagne colours on top of your blush.
If you want to look like you're back from a holiday, wear Brown.
If you just want to bring out your features, wear Salmon Pink.
If you have a night out with your BFF (guys or girlfriends!), wear Brick or Dolly.
If you want to take a sick leave, wear beige alone and pack your belongings.
P.S Please note that all the comments are just based on my own experience and research. Everyone can view a colour differently, and a colour can look very differently on different skin tone. Also, all the names are just spontaneously made up by me, so it may not be accurate according to the graphic world or whatever it is. The most universally flattering one? I'd say Peachy!
I will talk about the rest of the factors of an appropriate blush next time!